Overpopulation, overconsumption, & technology
After Ehrlich and Holdren (1971)
Problems with IPAT
Tragedy of the Commons
- Used by Hardin (1968) to advocate
- Eliminating foreign aid
- Eliminating welfare and social services
- Privatization of natural resources and public parks
- ``Lifeboat ethic''
- Difference between ``common-pool'' and ``open-access'' resources (Berkes et al., 1989)
- Policy recommendations called unrealistic, untenable, and ethically dubious (Callahan, 1974)
- Privatization & destruction of communal property exacerbated environmental degradation (Reddy, 2002; McGranahan, 1991; Monbiot, 2002)
How is globalization affecting the biosphere?
Brian M Napoletano